02   03   My Internet home: Book Review- One by Sarah Crossan 04   05     15   16     19   20     21      22      23      24     25   26   27   28    31    32     33     

Book Review- One by Sarah Crossan

34     



I've been wanting to read this since it first came out but I never seemed to get the time but when it won the CLIP award (which it deserved btw), I decided I couldn't ignore it any longer.


I loved this book. The storyline wasn't at all predictable which is a very good thing and is truly one of a kind story and, I imagine, will stay one of a kind because it will have to be someone very brave who next takes on the challenge of writing about conjoined twins after this one!
As I said above, I enjoyed this book. However, I didn't like the way it was written. For anyone who hasn't read it, it is written in a poetic style in stanzas and stuff. I just didn't like it.. :( It got the story across but just seemed a bit weird...
It made the book a very quick read or at least quicker than it looks as though it will take as the poems take up a lot of room but with not many words. Even though I normally read books quickly, I read this in 1 hour. The paperback looks very thick but it isn't. For the last couple of poems, I read them out loud just because I wanted to know if it actually works and it sounded a lot better. Take my advice and read it out loud!! I felt the side story of anorexia was unnecessary because it was just a side story and I felt that although I appreciate the recent increase in stories containing all sorts of current social problems, the storyline didn't go far enough into it for it to be worth it and made it seem a lot less important than something of this importance should be.
I have to say though personally, out of this book and one of Sarah's other books (Apple and Rain) I preferred Apple and Rain just because how it was written. Sorry to anyone that offends!

Stars: ***

Have you read this? What did you think?

xxx

Labels: , ,

35     36    37   38